Sunday, February 05, 2006

View from the Kitchen Window . . .

When I was a kid and was forced to do the dishes (my most hated task) I spent a lot of time gazing out the window above the sink. I could see who was driving down the road, the trees that bordered our yard, and part of the side of the garage. ; ) That window represented freedom ~ it allowed me to travel, if just in my mind, beyond the walls of the kitchen and away from the stack of dirty dishes.

Over the years I've lived in many different homes, but, none of them boasted a window like I dreamed of ~ a window where I could look out and feel that same sense of freedom I felt in my childhood home. Some had no kitchen window, much less one over the sink, one had an excellent view of the inside of our carport, and another looked out into the added-on family room. (At least with that last one I could take adventurous trips via the TV.)

Oh but now . . . !! I have a window that more than surpasses any dream I ever had. When I look out of my window I see the woods that surrounds our yard and watch the branches dance to and fro. I can watch whitetail deer nibbling the grass, fawns frolicking, birds flitting around, squirrels and chipmunks scurrying here and there. I can see our backyard pond with it's three waterfalls, rocks and the water plants that fill it. From my window I can also see the sky in it's variety of colors and watch the clouds in all their different moods. When the weather is good, I can hear the relaxing murmur of the water, the happy songs of birds, the inspiring melodies of the wind chimes and the wind rustling in the leaves.

From my window I can watch the seasons change; nature discarding one robe for another . . . colorful new spring blossoms, the lush foliage of summer, the vivid muti-colored leaves of autumn and the blankets of winter white. Each season has its own special mood that dances before my eyes and calls forth a million memories . . . of people and places and special times.

Does the view from my window make my life better?

It helps me to feel at one with nature. It reminds me that God is in His heaven. It causes me to stop and notice the beauty around me. It lets me delight in the changes of the seasons. It forces negative thoughts from my mind and provides a soothing balm. It reminds me that I've been blessed.

Aren't those the things that add quality and peace to our lives?

Isn't it the simple joys that make life a wonderful and exciting journey?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home